Licensed Motor Vehicle Dealer Responsibilities
As a selling dealer, you are required to:
- Keep the dealership name and address current at all state licensing agencies.
- When a title is required, apply in your customer’s name for any vehicle purchased from your dealership within 30 calendar days of the date of sale. Your customer will be unable to apply for or transfer a license plate until their title is applied for. The State Board for the Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers may impose fines when a selling dealer fails to comply.
- Issue an official Temporary Operating Permit (TOP) for any vehicle purchased from your dealership for customer’s use in operating their vehicle during the application period. Your customer is subject to fines and possible impoundment, if stopped by law enforcement, if they operate a vehicle without a valid license plate or TOP and if the license plate or TOP is expired.
- When financed, the security interest holder’s interest in the vehicle can be perfected as of their contract’s creation date by:
- Applying for a title, or
- Filing a Form T-53D Notice of Security Interest (showing the security interest holder information) within 20 calendar days of the contract's creation date with either the Motor Vehicle Division or the County Tag Office. This submission does not relieve the requirement for the dealer to apply for the title, when a title is required.
- $10 penalty, when title is required, if dealer fails to apply for a title in their customer’s name within 30 days of the date of sale.
- Dealers can be assessed a 5% additional Title Ad Valorem Tax fee penalty for each 30 days late (in addition to other fees and penalties) if title is not applied for within 30 days of date of sale when title is required.
- The customer cannot obtain or transfer a license plate if the dealer failed to apply for the title.
- Civil penalties and criminal charges, if the selling dealer fails to apply for a title.
- Subject to fines by the State Board for the Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers.
- Loss of state-issued dealer license.
- Security interest is not perfected.
Email questions to: [email protected]