Upcoming GTC Outage for Tax System Upgrade
Please complete all GTC business before Friday, February 5th at 11:00 pm. GTC will be unavailable from February 5th at 11:00 pm to February 10th at 11:00 pm for a system upgrade. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Cancellation and Reinstatement of Registration
Vehicle owners can voluntarily cancel registration if the vehicle has been sold, is not being driven, or is no longer operable. You should cancel your registration BEFORE canceling insurance coverage to avoid fines and penalties pursuant to Georgia law requiring insurance coverage.
It is illegal to drive or allow someone else to drive a vehicle with a canceled, suspended or revoked registration, or if the vehicle is uninsured.
How to cancel registration
You can voluntarily cancel your vehicle’s registration online using DRIVES e-Services or in-person at your local County Tag Office.
To use DRIVES e-Services, you will need:
- Your license plate number or VIN number
- Your driver’s license number or Letter ID (Letter IDs may be found on any letter sent to you regarding your vehicle.)
In person, complete Form MV-18J Application of Voluntary Registration Cancellation and take it to the County Tag Office where you live.
How to reinstate registration
You can reinstate your canceled registration by submitting the following to your County Tag Office:
- Payment of all ad valorem taxes and registration fines
- Acceptable proof of Georgia Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Coverage
- Acceptable proof that the vehicle passed an emissions inspection if required by your county of residence
Active resident or non-resident military personnel can voluntarily cancel their vehicle registration if no one is going to drive the vehicle during their deployment. You may cancel your registration using DRIVES e-Services or by mailing or delivering in person Form MV-18J Application of Voluntary Registration Cancellation to the County Tag Office in the county where you live, before canceling insurance coverage.
Upon returning, registration can be reinstated at your County Tag Office with the following:
- Payment of all ad valorem taxes and registration fines .
- Acceptable proof of Georgia Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Coverage.
- A completed, signed and notarized Form MV-18G, Service Member’s Affidavit for Mandatory Insurance Relief. Your commanding officer must complete and sign the “Certification of Service Member’s Commanding Officer” section at the bottom of this affidavit.
- Acceptable proof that the vehicle passed an emissions inspection, if required by your county of residence.