Get a valid Georgia driver’s license or ID card. As a new Georgia resident, before you can register your vehicle(s), you must have a valid Georgia driver’s license or ID. The Georgia Department of Driver Services issues driver's license and ID cards.
Once you have a valid Georgia driver's license or ID, you can title and register your motor vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, and motor homes.)
Completed Title/Tag Application
Completed and signed MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
Proof of Ownership
Provide one of the following:
- Original, valid out-of-state title
- Registration from a non-title state or country (if your vehicle is a 1986 or newer and currently registered in a state or country that does not issue titles for this type and/or year model vehicle.)
Loan or Lease on your Motor Vehicle
If you have a loan or lease on your motor vehicle
- Complete and sign Form T-17 Statement of Title Held by Lienholder, Security Interest Holder, or Leasing Company.
Emissions Inspection (if applicable)
Residents of the following metropolitan counties: Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale are required to have emissions inspections before registering their motor vehicles.
Visit Georgia Clean Air Force for more information on requirements and inspection locations.
Proof of Georgia Automobile Liability Insurance Coverage
Provide proof of Georgia Automobile Liability Insurance Coverage (one of the following)
- Filed electronically by your insurance company directly into the Department’s database
- Insurance binder showing liability coverage
Vehicle Taxes and Fees
Be prepared to pay Vehicle Taxes and Fees
- Annual registration fee - $20
- Title Fee - $18
- Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) - 3% of vehicle fair market value
Welcome to Georgia!
On this page find information for new residents applying for a Georgia title and registering motor vehicles.
You will need to visit the County Tag Office to apply for a Georgia title and register.
Vehicle(s) must be registered with the state within 30 days from the date you moved to Georgia.
Title and Register My Vehicle as a New Georgia Resident
Before you visit, gather the information below to title and register your vehicle for the first time.