Individual Income Tax Deadline Extended
Emissions Test System Restored April 8
DOR is notifying motorists that the emissions testing system has been restored. Motor vehicle owners will be able to obtain an emissions test beginning on April 8, 2021. As such, emissions testing will be required as normal on April 9, 2021.
New to Georgia?
Welcome! As a new Georgia resident, you must register your vehicle. Before you can register, you must have a valid Georgia driver’s license or ID. The Georgia Department of Driver Services issues driver's license and ID cards.
Once you have a valid Georgia driver's license or ID, you can:
- Register your motor vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and motor homes)
- Apply for Georgia title within 30 days of establishing residency. (Learn when titles are not required)
In Georgia, you register your motor vehicle at the County Tag Office where the owner lives. County Tag Offices in Georgia have varying rules for new residents. Most need a new resident to appear in person at their office with the following:
- Identification - Valid Georgia driver’s license or ID card
- Application - Completed and signed MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
Save Time! Start your MV-1 Motor Vehicle Title/Tag Application online BEFORE you visit the county tag office.
- Proof of Ownership -
- Original, valid out-of-state title
- Manufacturer’s statement of origin (required for a new vehicle that has never been issued a title); or
- Registration from a non-title state or country (if your vehicle is a 1986 or newer and currently registered in a state or country that does not issue titles for this type and/or year model vehicle.)
- If you have a loan or lease on your motor vehicle –
- Submit your registration certificate and applicable fees and taxes along with a completed and signed Form T-17 Statement of Title Held by Lienholder, Security Interest Holder, or Leasing Company.
- The county processing your application will contact your financial institution or leasing company by mail requesting the submission of your out-of-state title for the issuance of a Georgia title. The Georgia title, when issued, will be electronically transmitted or mailed to the first lienholder or security interest holder at the address shown on your application. If your vehicle is not financed but is leased, the Georgia title, when issued, will be mailed to the vehicle's legal owner, the leasing company. If your vehicle is not financed or leased, the title will be mailed to you, the vehicle owner. The title application must be completed before you can register your vehicle in Georgia.
- Emissions inspection (if applicable) - Visit the Georgia Clean Air Force for more information and a list or counties required to have emissions inspections.
- Proof of Insurance - by one of the following:
- Filed by the insurance company directly in the Department’s database.
- Insurance binder showing insurance liability coverage.
- Fees - Contact your County Tag Office for acceptable methods of payment. What are the standard fees for registering a motor vehicle?
- Taxes – Subject to Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT), Annual Motor Vehicle Ad Valorem Tax, or Georgia Sales and Use Tax.