Order Prestige and Specialty License Plates
Note: Prestige and Specialty license plates are allowed only on private passenger vehicles.
Prestige Plates (personal/vanity)
You will apply for the Prestige license plates at your County Tag Office.
In addition to the standard requirements and fees, the following are required:
- Completed Form MV-9B Special (Personal) Prestige License Plate Application
- $35 manufacturing fee
- $35 annual special tag fee
- $20 tag fee
Apply for a Specialty license plate at your County Tag Office through the same process you use to apply for a standard plate. Additional charges apply for Specialty license plates. If the County Tag Office does not have the Specialty license plate, a Temporary Operating Permit is issued, and the Specialty license plate is mailed to you.
Military License Plates - Special Requirements
- Military tags (requires Form DD-214 to show eligibility)
- Surviving spouses may transfer some military license plates from their deceased spouse by providing the following:
- Veteran’s death certificate
- Tag receipt
- Marriage certificate
- Certified Fire Fighters
DOR Regulation 560-10-22-.02 limits special prestige license plate references. Combinations are not allowed to be manufactured or displayed that fall into one or more of the following prohibited categories:
- Any combination of letters or numbers which are obscene according to current community standards, or which includes any reference to sex, sexual acts or body parts, or any reference to excrement or to bodily fluids.
- Any combination of letters or numbers which disparage a religious belief or being, race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Any combination of letters or numbers which indicate an office or position unless the applicant holds such office or position, including, but not limited to an elected office, employment as a police officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician, paramedic or first responder.
- Any combination of letters or numbers which is profane.
- Any combination of letters or numbers subject to a trademark or copyright unless the applicant owns the trademark or copyright.
- Any combination of letters or numbers referring to a crime or criminal activity under State or Federal law.
- Any combination of letters or number which might reasonably result in an immediate breach of the peace.
- The following combination of letters and/or numbers: hate, h8, ha8, hat, haytr, aytr, anti, ante, suck, suk, blow, or 69.
- Any reference to drugs or alcohol.
For additional information, contact your County Tag Office.