Loss of Insurance Coverage
Motor vehicle owners and lessees are required by law to maintain continuous Georgia liability insurance coverage on registered vehicles. It is a criminal offense to drive a vehicle with a suspended, revoked or canceled registration.
- Insurers have 30 days to submit new insurance information electronically to the Department’s insurance database.
- A lapse of coverage occurs when there are 10 days or more between the effective date of new insurance and the termination date of the previous insurance policy.
- There is no lapse of coverage if your insurance policy’s effective date and the termination date of the previous policy are the same.
Paying Insurance Penalties
- Vehicle Identification Number or license plate number
- Driver’s license number or Letter ID (found on your Pending Suspension/Suspension of Vehicle Registration letter)
Payment of insurance penalties and fines may not result in the reinstatement of a suspended vehicle registration pursuant to the Department of Revenue guidelines.