Abandoned Vehicle Title and Tag

The abandoned motor vehicle law requires an abandoned vehicle to be sold at a “public sale.” A certificate of title cannot be obtained for an abandoned vehicle on the basis of a surety bond, nor can a title be issued on a vehicle that is not required to be titled in Georgia (1985 or older year models).

Titles and tags can be applied for an abandoned vehicle at your County Tag Office.

The following information is required:

  • A completed and signed Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
  • A certified copy of the Court Order authorizing the sale of this vehicle. Certified copies of court documents must be the official order containing the Clerk of the Court’s signature and his or her seal or stamp.
  • A completed and signed Form T-7 Bill of Sale from the person authorized by the Court to sell this vehicle conveying ownership to the applicant(s) using the applicant(s)’ full legal name(s).
  • A completed and signed Form T-22B Certification of Inspection.

Important:  Incomplete forms or forms containing alterations will not be accepted!

  • When the person authorized by the Court to sell the vehicle and the purchaser are the same person:
    • A copy of the newspaper advertisement or notice posted at the county courthouse must be submitted and
    • A signed and notarized affidavit must be submitted stating a public sale was held and the purchaser made the highest bid.
  • $18.00 title fee.

"Public sale" means a sale:

  • Held at a place reasonably available to persons who want to attend and submit bids,
  • Allows those attending be given the opportunity to bid on a competitive basis,
  • To the highest bidder if the sale is made, and
  • Advertised once a week for two full weeks in the newspaper in which the sheriff’s advertisements are published in the county where the sale is to be held. Advertisement shall state the day and hour between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., the place of the sale, and identify the goods to be sold.