Did you receive a letter informing you the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) has made changes to your tax return?
Who may it affect?
Any taxpayer where DOR return calculations are different from the calculations on the return you submitted.
What you need to know
If you disagree with the tax amount calculated by the Department, please file a protest. Please file online through the Georgia Tax Center (GTC) within 30 days from the issue date on the letter.
- Additional details can be found under Protest and Appeals.
- You must have a GTC account to file an appeal online using GTC. Learn how-to set up a GTC account.
What do I need to do?
- Review the information on the back of the letter.
- Collect any documentation that supports your original return calculations.
- If needed, sign up online to open a GTC account. Learn how to set up Online Access
- Upload those supporting documents online through GTC.
- To submit a protest by mail, you must complete: TSD-1 Protest of Proposed Assessment or Refund Denial
What if I do nothing?
- Based on the DOR calculation, if you have a balance, DOR will issue an assessment.
- Based on the DOR calculation, if you are due a refund, DOR will issue the refund within 30 days.