Vehicles Exempt from Registration
Vehicles Not Registered or Titled in Georgia
The State of Georgia does not register or title the following vehicles:
- Motorized carts
- All-terrain vehicles
- Off-road vehicles
The State of Georgia does not register the following tractors and trailers:
- A trailer weighing less than 3,500 pounds used exclusively to haul agricultural products from one place on the farm to another or from one farm or field to another.
- Farm trailers, with no springs, hauling unprocessed farm products to their first market destination
- Trailers that are pulled from a tongue and used primarily to transport fertilizer to the farm.
- Any tractor or three-wheeled motorcycle used only for agricultural purposes.
Tow dollies are required to be registered in Georgia but not titled in this state.
Vehicles and Equipment Exempt from Registration in Georgia
Any vehicle or equipment used for transporting cargo or containers between and within wharves, storage areas, or terminals within the facilities of any port under the jurisdiction of the Georgia Ports Authority. Additionally, this vehicle or equipment is only being operated upon any public road, not part of The Dwight D. Eisenhower System of Interstate and Defense Highways, by the owner or his or her agent within a radius of 10 miles of the origin port facility and accompanied by an escort vehicle equipped with one or more operating amber flashing lights that are visible from a distance of 500 feet.
Motor Vehicle "Owners" Exempt from Registration in Georgia
Non-residents - Motor vehicles owned by non-residents* may be used and operated on the public streets and highways of this state for a period of 30 days without registering provided these vehicles are properly registered and visibly display valid license plates (tags) from the owner(s)’ home state.
Visitors - Motor vehicles owned by visitors** may be used and operated on the public streets and highways of this state, for pleasure purposes only, for a period of 90 days without registering provided these vehicles are properly registered and visibly display valid license plates from the owner(s)’ home state.
Non-resident Military Personnel - As a non-resident military person stationed in Georgia pursuant to the military orders, you are not required to register your vehicle(s) in this state as long as your vehicle visibly displays a valid license plate from your home of record state.
If you choose to register your vehicle(s) in Georgia, you must comply with all requirements of vehicle registration and apply at the County Tag Office in the county where you are residing.
Non-resident Students - As a non-resident student attending a Georgia College or University, you are not required to register your vehicle(s) in Georgia as long as your vehicle visibly displays a valid license plate from your home state.
To learn more, see Georgia’s Title and Registration Requirements.
* Non-resident - any person who does not live in the State of Georgia but who accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in this state or enters his or her children in the public schools of this state.
** Visitor - any person who does not live in the State of Georgia and who is not a non-resident as defined above.