Deceased Taxpayers, Name Change and other Related Information

Deceased Taxpayers

Filing a return for a deceased taxpayer - The surviving spouse, administrator, or executor may file a return on behalf of a taxpayer who died during the taxable year. When filing, use the same filing status and due date that was used on the Federal Income tax return. 

You may also be interested in FAQs for Estate Tax.

Requesting a refund check - To have a refund check in the name of the deceased taxpayer reissued to the estate or beneficiary, gather the following:

Once complete, mail the information to the address on Form GA-5347.

Lost, Stolen or Stale-Dated Checks

If your refund check was lost, stolen or becomes stale-dated, you will need to Contact Us for assistance.

Name Change

To have a refund check reissued in your changed name, submit a copy of two of the following accepted documents:

  • Social Security Card
  • Driver's License
  • Name change decree from Superior Court
  • Marriage Certificate

Send copies of the above documents along with your original refund check to:

Georgia Department of Revenue Processing Center
4125 Welcome All Road, Suite 801
Atlanta, GA 30349-1824