Beginning January 1, 2023 - All productions certified by the Department of Economic Development (DECD) are required to provide information to obtain the film tax credit.
The requirements to undergo a mandatory film tax credit audit are based on the date the production was first certified by the Georgia Department of Economic Development (DECD) and the credit amount according to the following schedule:
- All projects first certified by DECD on or after 1/1/2023
- All projects first certified by DECD on or after 1/1/2022, with credit amount that exceeds $1,250,000
- All projects first certified by DECD on or after 1/1/2021, with credit amount that exceeds $2,500,000
Projects subject to the mandatory audit requirements must submit a mandatory audit application and pay the audit fee.
Mandatory Audit & Fees
Mandatory film tax credit audits require a fee determined by the total production costs within the state of Georgia and is dependent on the selection of the auditor by the production to perform the review.
- A production with Georgia costs of $20,000,000 will pay $25,000 for the audit.
- A production with the same amount of Georgia costs - that selects an eligible auditor to perform the audit - will pay the $9,750 to the Georgia Department of Revenue plus a separately negotiated fee with the eligible auditor.
|Georgia Production Costs||Department Fee to Conduct the
Department Fee to Finalize Audit When
|$500,000.00 - $5,000,000.00||$5,000.00||$3,250.00|
|$5,000,000.01 - $10,000,000.00||$12,500.00||$6,500.00|
|$10,000,000.01 & above||$25,000.00||$9,750.00|
* Department fee to finalize audits for the Department’s oversight and administrative costs are in addition to fees charged by the eligible auditor.
In preparation for submitting a Mandatory Film Tax Credit Audit Application, the production should have the following documents and information:
- DECD authorization certificate
- Total qualified Georgia production costs
- Georgia principal photography completion date
- Selection of Auditor to conduct the audit
- Productions FEI number
- Productions reporting parent FEI number
- Production contact name, phone number and email address for the audit
After submitting a Mandatory Film Tax Credit Audit Application, the production will receive an email with information on where to send the audit fee and the DECD authorization certificate. Both items must be submitted to complete your application.
Your production doesn't meet the minimum requirements for a mandatory audit? Learn more about requesting a Voluntary Film Tax Credit Audit.