Assembled and Unconventional Vehicles
Assembled motor vehicles or motorcycles are defined in Georgia law as:
- Any motor vehicle or motorcycle manufactured from a manufacturer’s kit or fabricated parts, including replicas and original designs
- A new vehicle consisting of a prefabricated body, chassis, and drive train
- Homemade and not mass-produced by any manufacturer for retail sale
- Not otherwise excluded from emission requirements and in compliance with Chapter 8 Title 40 of Georgia code
Applying for a Title for an Assembled Vehicle
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) or appropriate documentation of purchase of all major components. The vehicle must comply with:
- Chapter 8 Title 40 of Georgia Code
- Applicable Federal emissions standards
- Completed and signed Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
- Completed and signed Form MV-100 Affidavit of an Assembled Vehicle Inspection
- Completed and signed Form T-129 Labor and Parts Certification.
- Provide receipts for new or used parts used to build the vehicle including:
- Part names and stock numbers
- Show the vehicle owner or rebuilder as the purchaser of the parts. (The rebuilder’s name, as shown on the parts receipts, must be shown on Form T-129.)
- For used parts, show the part name and the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the part was taken.
- Parts vehicle must have a title on file with the Department or be submitted at the time of the application.
- If the parts are from another state, provide a letter of certification from the other state.
- Copy of Rebuilder’s License.
- $100.00 inspection fee for the inspection station.
Note: All of the above items must be available at inspection. The vehicle must be towed, not driven to the inspection site.
Once the vehicle passes inspection, all of the above paperwork along with the inspectors report and registration must be submitted with:
$168.00 for motor vehicles ($18.00 title fee and $150 state processing fee) or $143.00 for motorcycles ($18.00 title fee and $125 state processing fee) made payable to the Department of Revenue.
Unconventional motor vehicles or motorcycles
Are not issued a certificate of title or registered in Georgia. These vehicles are manufactured and not in compliance with:
- Chapter 8 Title 40 of Georgia Code relating to equipment and inspection of motor vehicles
- Applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards issued pursuant to 49 U.S.C.A. Section 30101 et seq., unless the U.S. Customs Service or the U.S. Department of Transportation has certified that such vehicle complies with such applicable federal standards
- Applicable federal emission standards
- Does not qualify as an assembled motor vehicle or motorcycle