Titles for Rebuilt or Restored Vehicles

A salvage titled vehicle must go through the Rebuilt Inspection process before a rebuilt title can be issued on vehicles that require titles.

To obtain a rebuilt title:

  • Be a Licensed Rebuilder – Anyone who purchases a salvage or wrecked vehicle for the purpose of restoring or rebuilding must be licensed as a rebuilder
  • Pass Inspection – When the vehicle is restored but before it is painted, it must pass inspection by one of the Department’s approved private inspectors or stations.

To apply for a rebuilt title and vehicle inspection, submit the following to one of the Department approved private inspectors or stations:

  1. One or more photographs of the vehicle in its salvaged/wrecked condition before any repairs are made.
  2. Completed and signed Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
  3. Original valid salvage title issued in the vehicle owner’s name or properly assigned to the owner.
  4. Completed and signed Form T-22R Request for Inspection of a Rebuilt Motor Vehicle.
  5. Completed and signed Form T-129 Labor and Parts Certification.
  6. Provide receipts for new or used parts used to restore/rebuild the vehicle should including:
    • Part names and stock numbers
    • Show the vehicle owner or rebuilder as the purchaser of the parts. (The rebuilder’s name, as shown on the parts receipts must be shown of Form T-129.)
    • For used parts, show the part name and the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle from which the part was taken.
      • Parts vehicle must have a title on file with the Department or submitted at the time of the application.
      • If the parts are from another state, provide a letter of certification from the other state.
  7. Copy of Rebuilder’s License.
  8. $100.00 inspection fee for the inspection station.

Note: All of the above items must be available at inspection. The vehicle must be towed, not driven to the inspection site.

Once the vehicle passes inspection, all of the above paperwork along with the inspectors report and registration must be submitted with:

$118.00 made payable to the Department of Revenue ($18.00 title fee and $100.00 state inspection fee).

Submit to: 

DOR/Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Salvage Unit
P. O. Box 740384
Atlanta, Georgia 30374-0384

Vehicles must go through the Rebuilt process if:

  • Branded “Salvage” in Georgia.
  • Out of state branded “Salvage,” “Flood,” “Water,” “Fire,” and “Total Loss.”
  • Tractor cab restored with a glider kit.

If the out-of-state title is branded as “Rebuilt” or “Restored,” (indicating that the vehicle is no longer in a damaged condition) the rebuilt vehicle procedures must be completed except for the following:

  • Photographs of the vehicle in its salvaged/wrecked condition.
  • Receipts for parts used to restore the vehicle.
  • Form T-129 Labor and Parts Certification.