Tag Kiosk Maintenance on 11/30 7pm – 10 pm
Sorry for the inconvenience during this maintenance period.
Dealers are required to issue Temporary Operating Permits (TOPs) for use on newly purchased vehicles during the 30 days customer has to register.
Dealers are responsible for applying for a title for the buyer when the vehicle requires a title but are not required to apply for a new or transferred license plate.
Buyers have 30 days from the purchase date to either apply for a new license plate or transfer a valid license plate from another vehicle (of the same category type and they no longer own) at the County Tag Office in the county they reside. The title must be issued in the buyers name prior to applying for the license plate.
Dealers cannot issue an extension or additional TOP nor can the customer operate the vehicle legally with an expired TOP.
If the dealer fails to obtain a title for transfer into the buyers name (within five days of expiration of the TOP), the customer may apply for one 30 day TOP at their County Tag Office. The buyer is required to:
- Turn in the dealer issued TOP for destruction
- Provide proof of ownership (dealer’s invoice)
- Show valid Georgia driver’s license
- Complete Form T-226 Application to Extend the Registration Period of a Motor Vehicle Purchased from a Georgia Motor Vehicle Dealer
Dealers cannot issue a TOP when:
- A vehicle will be registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP)
- Vehicle is a salvage titled vehicle
- Vehicle is not self-propelled (i.e., trailer)
- Dealer did not sell the vehicle