Pending Suspension of Vehicle Registration Letter
Do you have questions about this letter? Not sure what it means?
By law, motor vehicle owners must maintain Liability Insurance for their registered vehicles.
If you received this letter, then your insurance coverage has lapsed. You now have a fine due of $25.00 for failure to maintain continuous liability insurance coverage.
Do you still own the car?
- If your answer is NO, then you do not need to do anything. Please ignore the notice
- If YES, follow the directions on the letter. You must pay the $25 fine AND get or maintain liability insurance coverage
How do I pay the fine?
Pay the fine online using DRIVES e-Service. You will need your license plate number or VIN number AND Driver’s License number or Letter ID (Letter IDs may be found on any letter sent to you regarding your vehicle.
Pay at a MVD Kiosk. Find a kiosk near you
Go to your local County Tag Office and pay the fine in-person
- Contact your local County Tag Office for mail payment options
What if ....
- You relocated and registered the vehicle in another state
- The vehicle has been totaled in an accident (and reported to your insurance company)
- You are in the military and the vehicle is being stored while you are deployed
What if I don't think this applies to me?
Contact your Insurance Company immediately. They must send insurance coverage for the dates shown as lapsed, if you were covered during the dates on your letter. Check your updated insurance status online. The website only provides current insurance status.
What if I still own and operate the vehicle and I ignore the letter?
- Your vehicle registration will be suspended
- You will not be allowed to renew your registration
- You will have an additional reinstatement fine of $60