Georgia Tax Center
Before Mailing Your Individual Income Tax Return
Helpful Filing Tips for Individual Income Tax
Remember! You can complete the tax forms on your computer. Once completed, print and save a copy of the return. Find this year’s tax forms.
Before you electronically file (or mail) your Georgia Individual Income Tax Return please review the following:
Completing your Return
- If handwritten, use black or blue ink only.
- Do not staple or attach your check, W-2s or any other documents to your return.
- Submit proper documentation (schedules, statements and supporting documentation, including W-2s, other states’ tax returns, or necessary federal returns and schedules).
- Use the correct form - forms differ by tax type and tax year. Look at the bottom of the form for the required pages to submit.
- Double-check your return.
- Review personal information (social security number (SSN), address, date of birth) on your return for each person listed
- Check your math! Review the calculations on your return
- Sign your return.
- Taxpayers must sign and date their returns
- Both spouses must sign the joint return, even if there was only one income reported
- The return preparer should also sign the return
- Mail your return, payment, and all necessary documentation to the appropriate address listed on the return. (Need to look-up the mailing address?)
Payments and Vouchers
- Make your checks or money order payable to the Georgia Department of Revenue.
- Fill out your check or money order correctly. Verify that the written and numerical amounts match, include taxpayer name(s), address, account #/SSN, and tax year.
- Cut the payment voucher along the dotted lines.
- Please do not staple your payment to the voucher or fold your voucher and check.
- Remove your check stub and keep it with your records.
- Use current year payment vouchers to file for the current tax year.
- File Form 500X to correct any incorrect information reported on Form 500.
- Do not use Form 500 to correct a previously filed return and do not use a Form 500X as an original return.
- When filing an amended return, you are not required to send in a copy of your original return.
- Failing to list your spouse’s SSN when filing a separate return
- Incorrectly or failing to list exemptions, dependents, income, and deductions
- Failing to enter the amount owed or the refund amount. Do not enter amounts on both lines.
- Incorrectly completing Schedule 3 or failing to include it with your return when required
- Sending your return by certified mail. Why you should not do this.
Register on Georgia Tax Center (GTC) to receive updates on the status of your refund. You can also read letters, make payments, or set up a payment plan on GTC.
Georgia Tax Center