Leased vehicle title and license plate applications must be processed at the County Tag Office where the lessee resides with the following information:
- Application – Completed Form MV-1 Tag and Title Application. Titles are no longer issued reflecting the lessee’s name. If the title is to be mailed to the leasing company, the title application should show the leasing company’s mailing address along with the county in Georgia where the vehicle is based. When the vehicle is registered at the County Tag Office, the registration certificate will reflect the leasing company as the owner, and the lessee’s name and Georgia address. The title application must be signed by an authorized representative of the leasing company.
- Power of Attorney or Lease Agreement – If the lessee is signing the title application in lieu of an authorized representative of the leasing company, Form T-8 Limited Power of Attorney or a copy of the lease agreement must be submitted authorizing the lessee to sign for the leasing company.
- Transfer Document – Original valid title or manufacturer’s certificate of origin issued in the leasing company’s name or properly assigned to the leasing company or out-of-state registration certificate reflecting the leasing company as the vehicle’s legal owner.
If a lienholder or security interest holder or leasing company is holding the vehicle’s title:
- Submit the original valid registration (tag receipt) and completed Form T-17 Affidavit of Title being Held by Lienholder or Security Interest Holder or Leasing Company
- The County Tag Office agent will contact the title holder requesting the out-of-state title
- Emissions Inspection - (If applicable)
- Proof of Insurance - Provide one of the following:
- Filed by the insurance company directly in the Department’s database.
- Insurance binder showing insurance liability coverage.
- Fees – Contact your County Tag Office for acceptable methods of payment. The fees are as follows:
- $18 title application fee when the vehicle requires a title and application is made within 30 days of the date of purchase or ownership transfer;
- $20 license plate/registration decal fee or $5 license plate transfer fee;
- A title penalty fee of $10 if a title is not applied for within 30 days of purchase date;
- Any penalty fees due for late registration renewal or late application for title.
- Taxes – Subject to Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT).
The lessee will be unable to register and obtain a license plate if:
- Title has not been issued in the leasing company’s name, when title is required, or
- Title is not applied for at the time of registration.