Insurance Company keeps a Wrecked\Salvage Vehicle

When an insurance company retains a wrecked/salvage vehicle in settlement of a ‘Total Loss’ claim, the insurance company must apply for a salvage title in their name within 30 days of the date of settlement when the vehicle requires a Georgia title. The following must be submitted to the MVD Salvage Unit:

  • Completed and signed Form MV-1S Salvage Title Application.
  • Original valid title properly assigned to the insurance company with all recorded liens or security interests properly released.
  • $18.00 title fee.

Submitted to:

DOR/Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Salvage Unit
P. O. Box 740384
Atlanta, GA 30374-0384

Disposition of License Plate:

  • If the insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, the owner retains the License plate.  The owner may transfer the license plate to another vehicle that requires the same type license plate.
  • If the owner retains possession of the vehicle, the license plate must be turned to the County Tag Office for cancellation.

Exception: Special license plates and out-of-state plates should not be turned in, but should be removed from the vehicle. The vehicle cannot be driven until it has passed inspection and been issued a ‘rebuilt’ title. A special license plate can be assigned to the vehicle once a ‘rebuilt’ title has been obtained and registration of the vehicle has occurred.