Georgia PRISM Compliance
Why am I receiving this notification?
- The goal of the Performance and Registration Information Systems Management (PRISM) program is to realize the benefit of State commercial vehicle registration sanctions as an incentive to improve motor carrier safety.
- PRISM establishes a system of accountability for ensuring that no vehicle is commercially registered without first identifying the Carrier who will be responsible for the safety of the vehicle during the registration year.
- Through PRISM, information system connections between commercial motor vehicle registration agencies and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) provide the ability to check the safety status of motor carriers prior to issuing or renewing commercial motor vehicle registrations.
- The PRISM program requires that motor carriers improve safety deficiencies or face progressively stringent sanctions such as federal out-of-service (OOS) orders and State registration suspensions.
What do I need to do?
- Georgia requires intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT number.
- Georgia requires the USDOT number of the Carrier Responsible for Safety (CRFS) for vehicles which will be involved in interstate commerce that have;
- A gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
- Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation.
- It is the responsibility of motor carrier operators and drivers to know and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
What will happen if I do nothing?
- It is a key requirement for Law Enforcement in PRISM states to identify carriers and vehicles operating on the highway while under an FMCSA Out-Of-Service Order and identify vehicles targeted by FMCSA for inspection.
- There is immediate suspension of registration credentials (IRP Cab Cards, IRP decals, IRP plates, IFTA licenses, & IFTA decals) for all registrations associated with USDOT Numbers under FMCSA Out-Of-Service order.
- Renewals for IRP & IFTA registrations are denied and prohibited for all motor carriers under FMCSA Out-of-Service Order.