Different Types of Renewals in Georgia
Year-round registration (most counties)
- Individuals who reside in year-round registration counties may register 30 days prior to their birthday. The registration period ends at midnight on the birthday of the first person listed on the tag receipt (registration).
- Business renewals are based on the first letter of the business name.
|First Letter of Business Name||Expiration Month|
|A or B||January|
|C or D||February|
|E, F, 4, 5, or 8||March|
|G or H||April|
|I or J||May|
|K or L||June|
|M, N, or 9||July|
|O, P, or 1||August|
|Q or R||September|
|S, T, 2, 3, 6, or 7||October|
|U, V, or W||November|
|X, Y, Z or 0||December|
Four-Month Non-Staggered Renewal Registration
Citizens in the following counties can renew anytime between January 1 and April 30:
Four-Month Staggered Registration (Talbot County only - individuals)
Citizens in the following counties may renew during the periods that correspond to their birthdays.
- Individuals with birthdays in January, February, or March register in January.
- Individuals with birthdays in April, May, or June register in February.
- Individuals with birthdays in July, August, or September register in March.
- Individuals with birthdays in October, November, or December register in April.
Businesses, Business Lessees, or Entities (not individuals)
Businesses may renew during the periods that correspond to the first letter of their last names.
- If the name begins with A, B, C, or D, register in January.
- If the name begins with E, F, G, H, I, J, or K, register in February.
- If the name begins with L, M, N, O, P, Q, or R, register in March.
- If the name begins with S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, or Z, register in April.
Note: In addition to registration fees, Ad Valorem Taxes, fees associated with special license plates, and the mailing fee, the following penalties are assessed if you fail to renew your license plate during your registration period:
- 25% of the license plate fee
- 10% of the Ad Valorem tax