Damaged, Scrapped, Dismantled or Demolished Vehicle
A vehicle is considered salvage if damaged or dismantled to the extent restoration to an operable condition would require the replacement of any of the following:
- Front clip assembly (fenders, hood, and bumper), rear clip assembly (quarter panels), and floor panel assembly;
- Top assembly (excluding a soft top or convertible top)
- Frame; or
- Complete side (fenders, door, and quarter panel.
A vehicle that has been demolished or scrapped and titled as “Parts” cannot be repaired or legally driven.
Georgia law (OCGA 40-3-36) requires the registered owner, or their agent, on any vehicle that has been damaged, scrapped, dismantled, or demolished as described above submit the following:
- Mail or deliver the vehicle’s original Georgia title issued in the submitter’s name(s) or properly assigned to the submitter to the MVD Salvage Unit within 72 hours of cancellation. Do not submit out-of-state/country titles or license plates.
- Signed letterhead statement containing a complete description of the vehicle including:
- Year model
- Make of the vehicle
- Vehicle’s identification number (VIN)
- Title number
- Vehicle’s Georgia license plate (when left on the vehicle)
- Completed and signed Form T-158 Report of and/or Surrender of GA License Plate.
To get a receipt for the title please provide an extra copy of the letter and a self-address envelope.
DOR/Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Salvage Unit
P. O. Box 740384
Atlanta, GA 30374-0384
Questions about this process can be emailed to [email protected]