Corrections to Titles
Titles and tags can be applied for at the Buyer’s County Tag Office.
Alterations or corrections to the face of the title or manufacturer’s statement of origin (except when corrected by the issuing agency) are unacceptable and require the issuance of a new title or statement of origin by the issuing agency showing correct information.
- To the title or statement of origin assignment (on the back):
- Lightly line through the incorrect information leaving it where it can still be read.
- Enter the correct information legibly above the “lined through” information.
- Complete Form T-11 Affidavit of Correction explaining the reason for the correction.
- Lienholder or security interest holder correction requires a lien release from an incorrectly entered lienholder or security interest holder.
- Incorrectly entered odometer reading requires a completed Form T-107 Odometer Discrepancy Affidavit(s) by both the seller and the buyer.
- Vehicle purchase or transfer date error, require one of the following:
- Payment of a $10.00 title penalty.
- Copy of front and back of check between seller and buyer supporting the purchase date change.
- Obtain a replacement title or statement of origin from the issuing agency for proper assignment with correct date.
Unacceptable corrections which require a new title or statement of origin:
- Use of correction fluid or tape
- Total blocking out of information (where original information is not legible)
Dealer backed-out sale exemption:
- The selling dealer must complete Form T-11 Affidavit of Correction and attach to the title.
- When resold, enter the new owner information above the lined through information of the backed-out sale.
- The odometer reading should either stay the same or increase in number.
- The purchase date should remain the same or be a later date.