Change Name on Tax Return

Beginning January 1, 2024, to change the name on your tax return, the Georgia Department of Revenue requires a copy of both:

  1. State issued ID, AND
  2. Legal documents reflecting the name change

Required Documents

Valid State issued ID issued reflecting name change are:

  • US State issued ID card (copy of front and back), or
  • US Passport

Legal documents reflecting name change are:

  • Superior Court order/decree/certificate
  • Marriage Certificate/Divorce decree
  • Social Security Card

Copies of these documents should be submitted with your tax return.

A mismatch in names can delay the processing of your tax return.