Vehicle Registration

Registering your vehicle in Georgia depends on what type of vehicle you have.

Passenger Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles, Trucks and Trailers - You will need the following items to register motor vehicles, motorcycles, trucks and trailers:

  • A valid Georgia driver's license or identification card.
  • Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
  • If your vehicle is to be registered in Georgia you must apply for a license plate at the time of title application. You can use the same application, Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application, to apply for both a license plate and title.
  • Proof of Ownership. You will need your vehicle's original valid title, manufacturer's certificate of origin or registration certificate from a non-title state/country, which must be in your name or properly assigned to you using your full legal name. You must also include a Form T-22B Certification of Inspection with a registration certificate from a non-title state/country, completed by a city, county or state law enforcement officer, your county tag agent or county tag employee after they see your vehicle's ID plate (serial plate).

If your vehicle title is being held by a Security Interest Holder, or Lien Holder:

  • If your lender or leasing company is holding your out-of-state title when a Georgia title is required, complete and sign Form T-17 Affidavit of Title being Held by Lien or Security Interest Holder or Leasing Company and submit with your original registration certificate instead of your title.
  • The processing office will contact your lender or leasing company by mail asking them to send us your out-of-state title so we can issue a Georgia title.
  • Your Lender or Leasing Company will receive electronic notification of your title, or in certain cases the title may be mailed to your Lender.

When a Title is not required - If you are applying for a tag only, because a Georgia title is not required and your vehicle is currently registered in a non-title state/country, you must submit the vehicle's original valid registration certificate, issued in your name or properly assigned to you. If the registration was not issued in your name and there are no spaces for transferring ownership, you need to submit original signed bills of sale showing the chain of ownership from the registered owner, up through you, the current owner. You must also submit:

  • An original Form T-22B Certification of Inspection.
  • Proof of insurance.
  • Emissions inspections, if applicable.
  • Proof of residency. This may include:
    • Lease, deed or closing statement for new residence
    • Final utility bill from your previous residence
    • Moving bill, shipper's bill or truck rental agreement
    • Final paycheck stub or a signed letterhead statement from your former employer

Fees/Taxes - You may pay by cash, or submit a check or money order payable to the Office of the Tax Commissioner for the total registration fees, title fee and taxes due. Please Note: Check with your local county tag office for acceptable payment requirements. (Fees included are as follows.)

  • $20.00 tag fee for a regular passenger car or light weight pick-up truck
  • $18.00 title fee (if your vehicle requires a Georgia title)
  • Sales tax
  • A manufacturing fee if you are requesting a special tag that requires a manufacturing fee.  View a list of available special tags and the requirements and fees
  • $1.00 mailing fee
  • Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in the state of Georgia will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual Ad Valorem Tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one-time Title Ad Valorem Tax that is based on the value of the vehicle. Read more about the Title Ad Valorem Tax

Boats and Watercrafts - Boats and watercrafts are registered at your County Property Tax Office and the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

Vehicles to be registered under the International Registration Plan

Register your commercial vehicles that are based in Georgia and travel in Georgia as well as other states and jurisdictions under the International Registration Plan (IRP) with the department's IRP Section.