Treasury Refund Offset

Under federal law, the Georgia Department of Revenue can take your federal income tax refunds to reduce or pay income tax debt you owe to the state of Georgia. To take your federal income tax refund, the Department files an offset claim with the United States Department of the Treasury.

How this process works:

  • We send a letter to your last known address notifying you of our intent to file an offset claim.
  • After 60 days, we file a claim with the Treasury Department.
  • The Treasury Department notifies you when they send us all or part of your federal refund.

This can take up to several weeks. Please note that the Department will not take federal payments if you are in bankruptcy.  Also, the Department cannot take your Social Security income to offset your state income tax debt.

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact us