Suspended Vehicle Registration Letter

Do you have questions about this letter? Not sure what it means?

If you received this letter, then your Registration is suspended. You cannot legally drive this vehicle.

By law, motor vehicle owners must have continuous liability insurance coverage. That means no gap in coverage.

What do I need to do?

You now have fines of:

$25 - Failure to maintain continuous liability insurance coverage
$60 - Restoring vehicle registration
$85 - Total fines due

You must pay the $85 fine AND continue to have liability insurance coverage.

How do I pay the fine?

You can:

  • Go to your local County Tag Office and pay the fine in person.
  • Make an online payment.
  • Mail a check or money order (payable to the “Department of Revenue”) for the total amount due. Please use the coupon included in your letter. Mailed payments take longer to process.

What if I am not using this vehicle?

If you:

  • No longer own or traded the vehicle to a dealer
  • You relocated and registered the vehicle in another state
  • The vehicle has been totaled in an accident (and reported to your insurance company)
  • You are in the military and the vehicle is being stored while you are deployed.

Then, cancel your registration.  Cancel online using DRIVES e-Services. Or cancel in person by completing the form MV-18J (on the back of your letter or download) and take it to your local County Tag office to complete the process.

What if I don't think this applies to me?

Contact your Insurance Company immediately. They must send insurance coverage for the dates shown as lapsed, if you were covered during the dates on your letter.  Check your updated insurance status online.  The website only provides current insurance status.

What if I ignore the letter?

  • Your vehicle registration will be suspended
  • You will not be allowed to renew your registration or register another vehicle
  • You may incur more fines

Learn more about Insurance and Titles & Registration.