Register and Title a New Vehicle
Titles and tags can be applied for at your County Tag Office. The following information is required:
- Completed and signed MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
- Original valid manufacturer’s certificate of origin properly assigned to the vehicle owner (using full legal name) by the selling dealer or the vehicle manufacturer. If jointly owned, each owner’s full legal name, valid Georgia Driver’s License or Georgia identification card number and signature are required.
- Georgia liability insurance reported by your Insurance Company and on record with the Department.
- Proof that vehicle has passed an emission's inspection, when required.
- A valid Georgia driver's license or Georgia identification card.
- $18.00 title fee
- $20.00 tag fee
- Sales tax or Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT), if applicable.
Note: If the manufacturer’s certificate of origin is assigned to a dealer who is licensed to sell only used vehicles, the dealer must obtain a title in their name before transferring ownership. When the customer applies for a Georgia title, the issued title will reflect the vehicle’s status as “used.” This does not apply to certificates of origin assigned to a franchise or new motor vehicle dealership that has the manufacturers franchise agreement.
- Original title $18.00
- Replacement title $8.00
- Title penalty $10.00 – Failure to apply for a Georgia title within 30 days of the vehicle’s purchase or transfer date.
- Title penalty $10.00 – Altered purchase or transfer date on the document transferring ownership.
- Special handling $10.00 – Each title application.