Motor vehicle owners and lessees are required by law to maintain continuous Georgia Liability Insurance coverage on vehicles with active registrations. Driving a vehicle while the registration is suspended, revoked, or cancelled is a misdemeanor. Additional penalties will apply, if convicted of driving a vehicle with a suspended or cancelled registration.
Requirements of Insurance Card
- Insurers are required to issue an insurance policy information card for each vehicle they insure.
- Insurance cards are not acceptable proof of insurance coverage for vehicles other than self-insured, fleet and IRP registered vehicles
- Insurance cards must be carried in the vehicle at all times
- Insurance cards may be needed in the following situations:
- Travel in other states where the Georgia database is not recognized
- Exchange insurance information, if involved in an accident
- Required as proof of liability insurance coverage for self-insured vehicle, fleet vehicles and vehicles registered under the Georgia IRP
Required Electronically Transmit Insurance Information
Insurers are required to transmit insurance information electronically to the Department.
Note: Self-insured vehicles, fleet vehicles and IRP registered vehicles must maintain Georgia liability insurance coverage, but are exempt from the electronic transmitting requirements.