Individual Income Tax Deadline Extended
Insurance Card Requirement
Motor vehicle owners and lessees are required by law to maintain continuous Georgia Liability Insurance coverage on vehicles with active registrations. Driving a vehicle while the registration is suspended, revoked or cancelled is a criminal offense. Additional penalties will apply, if convicted of driving a vehicle with a suspended or cancelled registration.
Requirements of Insurance Card
- Insurers are required to issue an insurance policy information card for each vehicle they insure
- Insurance cards, by themselves, are not acceptable proof of insurance coverage for vehicles that are not self-insured, fleet or IRP registered vehicles
- Insurance cards must be carried in the vehicle at all times
- Insurance cards may be needed in the following situations:
- Travel in other states where the Georgia database is not recognized
- Exchange insurance information, if involved in an accident
- Required proof of liability insurance coverage for self-insured vehicle, fleet vehicles and vehicles registered under the Georgia IRP
Required Electronic Transmittal Insurance Information
Insurers are required to transmit insurance information electronically to the Department of Revenue. While self-insured vehicles, fleet vehicles and IRP registered vehicles must maintain Georgia liability insurance coverage, but their insurers are exempt from the electronic transmitting requirements.