File Georgia Individual Income Tax - the Basics
Monday, April 15, 2019 is the due date for Georgia Individual Income Tax
- Tax returns must be received or postmarked by the due date.
Do I have to file taxes with the state of Georgia? Yes, if:
- You are required to file a Federal Return
- You have income subject to Georgia income tax that is not subject to Federal income tax
- Your income exceeds the standard deduction and personal deductions described under filing requirements in the Individual Income Booklet (IT-511)
What forms do I use and where do I get them?
- IT-511 Individual Income Tax Booklet contains instructions, forms and tax tables
- Form 500EZ and Form 500 are the Individual Income Tax Return forms in Georgia. If you do not qualify to use Form 500 EZ then you will need to use Form 500
- Download and see all of this year’s individual tax forms
Can I use the "EZ" Form (500EZ)? Yes, if:
- Your income is not over $99,999 and you do not itemize deductions
- You do not have any adjustments to your Federal Adjusted Gross Income
- You are not 65 or older, or blind
- Your filing status is single or married filing joint and you do not claim any exemptions other than yourself and/or your spouse
- You lived in Georgia the entire year
- You are not claiming an estimated tax credit
Otherwise, use Form 500.
You may also download the tax forms, save them and fill them out on your computer. Once completed, print and mail them.
Filing electronically will get your return to you the fastest. Handwritten forms take the longest to process.
What if I need to file an extension?
- You must file an extension by April 15, 2019
- This is NOT an extension to pay. Use Form IT-560 Payment Voucher with your extension payment
- You can pay online at the Georgia Tax Center. Login and look for "Make a Quick Payment"
Where do I mail tax forms?
If you owe tax, mail your return and payment along with Form 525-TV to the address on the form. Make your check or money order payable to the Georgia Department of Revenue. Need other mailing addresses?
Why File Electronically?
- Get your refund back quicker if you file electronically and use direct deposit
- Faster and more accurate processing
- Eliminates mailing
- More reasons why
Want to Avoid Delays?
- Double-check your return
- Are SSN or ID numbers correct?
- Use the correct mailing address
- Check your math
- Use the correct tax table
- Sign and date your return
- Common Mistakes & Filing Tips