Specialty and Prestige license plates are only allowed on private passenger vehicles.
Specialty license plates can be applied for at your County Tag Office. The process for obtaining these plates is the same as standard plates. There are additional charges for Specialty license plates. If the County Tag Office does not have the Specialty tag, a Temporary Operating Permit will be issued and the license plates will be mailed to the customer.
Certain specialty license plates requiring unique qualifications may be applied for at your County Tag Office, including but not limited to:
- Military tags (requires Form DD-214 showing eligibility)
- Surviving spouses (may transfer some military tags from their deceased spouse) by providing:
- Veteran’s death certificate
- Tag receipt
- Marriage certificate
- Certified Fire Fighters
Prestige (personal/vanity) license plates can be applied for at your County Tag Office. In addition to the standard requirements and fees, the following is required:
- Completed Form MV-9B Special (Personal) Prestige License Plate Application
- $35.00 manufacturing fee
Georgia Code 560-10-22-.02 limits special prestige license plate combinations are not allowed to be manufactured or displayed as it falls into one or more prohibited categories, containing:
- Any combination of letters or numbers which are obscene according to current community standards, or which includes any reference to sex, sexual acts or body parts, or any reference to excrement or to bodily fluids.
- Any combination of letters or numbers which disparage a religious belief or being, race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.
- Any combination of letters or numbers which indicate an office or position unless the applicant holds such office or position, including, but not limited to an elected office, employment as a police officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician, paramedic or first responder.
- Any combination of letters or numbers which is profane.
- Any combination of letters or numbers subject to a trademark or copyright unless the applicant owns the trademark or copyright.
- Any combination of letters or numbers referring to a crime or criminal activity under State or Federal law.
- Any combination of letters or number which might reasonably result in an immediate breach of the peace.
- The following combination of letters and/or numbers: hate, h8, ha8, hat, haytr, aytr, anti, ante, suck, suk, blow, or 69.
- Any reference to drugs or alcohol.
For additional information, contact your County Tag Office.