These license plates may be used:
- On vehicles in the company's inventory that are being demonstrated to a potential purchaser;
- To transport a vehicle from one location to another;
- For personal use by officers or employees of the business on vehicles owned by the business. Employees are defined as persons working for these businesses at least 36 hours per week.
- Manufacturer or distributor tags are limited to no longer than six months’ use per vehicle.
- Manufacturer and distributor tags may be used on motor vehicles owned by the manufacturer or distributor for evaluation or demonstration purposes, notwithstanding incidental personal use by the manufacturer or distributor.
These plates cannot be used:
- On privately owned vehicles.
- Cars for hire, for lease.
- Vehicles used in the operations of a dealership such as rentals, delivery, parts delivery, towing, rollbacks, courtesy or other manner.
- By friends or family members of the business.
Tags issued for the current tag cycle expire at midnight on December 31. These tags cannot be used after December 31.
You are subject to fines by law enforcement if you use these tags illegally.
Also, if after a departmental hearing it is determined that these tags were unlawfully used, these tags may be revoked and confiscated.
The Special Tags Unit of Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) issues these type tags; the county tag agents’ offices in this state do not.
Types of Dealers
- A franchise dealer is any person with an established place of business in Georgia who buys, sells, exchanges or leases new motor vehicles under a franchise agreement with a vehicle manufacturer.
- An independent dealer is any licensed person with an established place of business in Georgia who buys, sells or exchanges used motor vehicles.
- A used parts dealer is any person with an established place of business in Georgia buys, sells or uses motor vehicle parts either as a used motor vehicle parts dealer, a motor vehicle dismantler, a motor vehicle rebuilder, a salvage pool dealer, or a salvage dealer.
- A motorcycle dealer is any person with an established place of business in Georgia who buys, sells or exchanges new or used motorcycles.